Hello, this is Bridge to Japan.
This time I would like to show you how to make a tofu dish, “Agedashi Tofu (Deep-fried tofu）”.
Agedashi Tofu is made by coating tofu with batter, deep-frying it, and pouring soup stock or soy sauce over it. There are many ways to make it, but this time I would like to try making it simply using a soup base. It’s easy to make, so please give it a try!
- Despite being one of Japan’s most popular home-style dishes, it is also a staple of the izakaya menu.
- Going back in history, this cooking method was invented in the mid-Edo period (mid-1600s).
Episode In JAPAN
My memories of Agedashi Tofu ( deep-fried tofu ) are of my mother’s tofu dishes, which were a staple of the menu and a staple of what I would order at pubs.
Its light flavor brings back nostalgic memories, and it is a great side dish that complements the main course.It is one of the easiest and tastiest dishes for busy housewives and office workers who are short of side dishes for the evening but don’t have much time to spend.
The Key Item
This time, the key ingredient for deep-fried tofu is called ”Men-tsuyu” and is Soup Base. This is a type of soup that you dilute three times with water, but actually, this mentsuyu… In Japan, it is used in a variety of dishes. Udon soup, Somen soup, etc. In fact, this soup is used in many dishes in Japan, such as udon soup, somen soup, and this time, deep-fried tofu. It can be used in a variety of dishes, so if you have one in the house, it will definitely come in handy. It can also be used to shorten the time required to make deep-fried tofu, so please give it a try.
How to make Agedashi Tofu
Agedashi Tofu 揚げ出し豆腐Course: AppetizersCuisine: JapaneseDifficulty: Easy
A general term for a dish in which tofu is battered and deep-fried, then dipped in broth or soy sauce.
1 or 1/2 Tofu (firm and lite, both is OK)
Some Potato starch
3 Tbsp Oil
100 ml Men Tsuyu(Noodle Soup Base)
Some Shallot (For garnish)
- Prepare tofu and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Dry the tofu with paper towels.
Heat in microwave oven for 2 minutes and drain off more water.
- Sprinkle the tofu with potato starch.
Heat oil in a frying pan and add tofu.
- Deep-fry over medium heat until both sides are browned.
Once browned, it is ready to serve.
***Making the sauce***
- Add noodle sauce to a pot and dilute with water (follow product directions).
Heat over medium heat (turn off the heat when it boils).
- Place the tofu in a dish and pour the sauce you made over it.
Sprinkle with sliced green onions.
- Ready to serve!