Hello, this is Bridge to JAPAN. This time, I would like to show you how to make a Japanese dish using pork, called “Buta Don (Pork Bowl)”, which is served with pork on top of rice.
A bowl of rice topped with beef is called “Donburi” in Japan.
Among them, beef rice bowl with beef on top is probably the one that comes to mind for most people.
In fact, some restaurants that specialize in gyudon (beef bowl) also have this dish on their menu. The charm of this pork bowl is that you can enjoy the sweet and spicy flavor of the light and crispy pork.
You can easily make it at home, so please give it a try!
- It is also available as one of the menu items at beef bowl specialty restaurants, and is well known by Japanese people of all ages.
- In Japan, pork is cheaper than beef at supermarkets, so it is reasonably priced and tasty, making it easy to prepare at home.
- It is believed to have originated in Hokkaido, Obihiro region, and is characterized by pork seasoned with sweet and spicy sauce.
Episode In JAPAN
Yoshinoya” is one of the most famous beef bowl chain restaurants in Japan, and they also have this pork bowl on their menu.
The first time I tasted this pork bowl was at a restaurant, not at home. Is it not as good as beef bowl? But when I ordered it, I found out that it was not at all like that.
On the contrary, I remembered that it had a novel taste. Unlike the soy sauce flavor of gyudon, the sweet and spicy sauce was unique. I was a student at the time, and all I could say was, “Delicious!
I missed the taste of the restaurant, so I tried to recreate it at home.
The Key Item
I would like to say that the key item is the high quality pork, but I think it is the lettuce. The lettuce in between the pork and the sweet and spicy sauce makes the flavors intertwine in your mouth and gives you a fresh sensation when you eat it. I think that is the role of lettuce. The taste is different without lettuce! It tastes great with a little drizzle of mayonnaise, and lettuce is the best complement to this pork bowl!
Buta Don（Pork Bowl,豚丼）Course: Main, MeatCuisine: JapaneseDifficulty: Easy
Stir-fry the pork until the sauce is well mixed with the pork.
2 cups of Rice
3-4 Lettuce leaves
1/2 Onion Shallot
1 Tbsp Sugar
2 Tbsp Sake
3 Tbsp Soy sauce
1 Tbsp Mirin
- Prepare the required amount of rice in advance (we will cook 2 cups).
- Cut the lettuce into bite-sized pieces and chop the onion.
- Cut green onion into small pieces and slice pork into thin strips.
- **Cooking Part**
- Add olive oil to a frying pan, add the pork and fry over high heat until it changes color.
- After frying, remove the pork.
- Add the oil to the pan again, add the onions, and fry until they begin to brown. Keep the heat on low.
- When they start to brown, add sugar, sake, soy sauce, and mirin.
Then, add the fried pork, turn the heat to medium, and pour the sauce over the pork.
- Prepare a plate, put rice on it, put lettuce on top of it, and put pork on it.
- Finally, top with green onions and you’re done!
- It’s even better with mayonnaise on it!